Friday, January 09, 2004

Kim Un-Yong Resigned.

IOC vice president Kim Un-yong resigned Friday as President of World
Taekwondo Federation and national lawmaker.

Kim has been questioned by South Korean prosecutors about allegations
he collected illicit money from former South Korean Olympic officials
and embezzled funds from taekwondo organizations.

On Friday, Kim said he was quitting as head of the World Taekwondo
Federation, which he has headed for three decades, his aides said.
"I made this decision while feeling a heavy sense of responsibility
for causing controversy in connection with my sports diplomacy," he
said, reading a prepared statement.

Kim also have up two posts he held in South Korea: national lawmaker
affiliated with the opposition Democratic Millennium Party, and head
of the World Taekwondo Headquarters, a Seoul-based institute that
issues taekwondo credentials.
"While doing this, I sometimes got careless, and I admit that I did
things wrong," he said. "I bow my head and offer my deep apologies."
He wiped tears from his eyes, and stepped aside from the podium and
bowed deeply.
Last month, South Korean prosecutors raided Kim's house and offices,
seizing a private safe and documents. Prosecutors suspect Kim of
embezzling funds from the World Taekwondo Federation and the World
Taekwondo Headquarters. He also faces allegations that he received
money in return for helping two men become members of the Korean
Olympic Committee.

No comments: